Shaw County Hotel
Shaw County Hotel Logo Hotel
header bottom
  1. As soon as a couple have made provisional arrangements for their marriage on approved premises they should be advised to contact the Superintendent Registrar for the district in which the premises are situated at the Register Office, County Hall, Trowbridge Tel: 01225 713097
  2. starter
  3. Without the presence of this Superintendent Registrar and a Registrar there can be no marriage and any arrangements for the use of the premises depend entirely on their availability.  It is, therefore, essential that the couple make an advance booking with the Superintendent Registrar for his/her attendance at their proposed marriage as soon as a booking can be accepted. A fee for this attendance will be payable before the ceremony.
  4. The couple will also each have to give a Notice of Marriage to the Superintendent Registrar (s) of the district (s) in which they live (for 7 days). This notice must be given in person by both of the couple and is valid for twelve months. Both of the couple should therefore attend the Registrar Office where they live as soon as possible after notice can be given, together where possible. Please note there must be 15 clear days from the date of giving notice before the marriage can take place.
  5. The couple should be warned that any arrangements made for a marriage to take place on the approved premises are dependent on:
    a) The attendance of the Superintendent Registrar and a Registrar for the district in which the premises are situated and
    b) The issue of the authorities for marriage by the Superintendent Registrar (s) to who notice of Marriage was given
  6. When notices are given in a different registration district from the one where the marriage is taking place, the couple will have to collect the authorities before the ceremony and ensure that they are delivered to the Registrar who is to attend the ceremony
  7. The couple should be advised that only a civil, non-religious ceremony could be permitted by the Superintendent Registrar. Any music, reading words or performance, which forms any part of the ceremony, must be secular. The content of ceremony must be agreed in advance with the Superintendent Registrar who will be attending the ceremony.
  8. Any rights of the copyright for music, readings, etc., permitted at the ceremony are a matter for the couple and the holder of the approval.
  9. Civil ceremonies are now permitted on Sundays in the Trowbridge district.